sign up Your signup was successful Subscribing..


< back

DIY-ers take note

By - 10 Feb 2012

The new Licensed Building Practitioner regime comes into force on 1 March 2012.  From that date, certain building work, known as Restricted Building Work, must be done by a Licensed Building Practitioner.

Restricted Building Work is work that relates to either the structure (e.g. foundations) or moisture penetration (e.g. roofing, cladding) of homes. As a general rule, if the work you intend to do needs a Building Consent, it will involve some degree of Restricted Building Work and needs to be completed by a Licensed Building Practitioner. 

Restricted Building Work does not apply to sheds, garages and freestanding decks and conservatories.  Minor building work will also generally be excluded.  However, we advise home handymen (and women) to seek advice before they commence any significant building work, as the penalty for carrying out (or engaging someone to carry out) Restricted Building Work without a Licence is a fine of up to $20,000.

Click here to read more about this legislation.


Forward to a friend

Leave a comment